Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Coconut Lime Verbena Soap

Last weekend I tried out a new to me (and to the store) fragrance in a batch of soap to see how it would behave. I am  happy to say there was no accelerated trace, seizing or ricing. I used a full seven teaspoons in a batch that was a about four pounds and could really notice the fragrance when I was cutting this last night. I fill two 3lb loaf molds a little over 1/2 way each. Since I didn't fill the molds to the top, I've cut the bars a little thicker. As you can see, most of the soap was coloured with a green oxide, I did remove "some" to colour with some yellow lake- that was after I had fragranced the whole batch. I stirred some poppy seeds into the yellow soap and sprinkled some on top. The recipe below is my usual from The Soapmaker's Companion. If you're trying a new scent, its good to use an old recipe :) BTW as per the title of this post, the scent I used was Coconut Lime Verbena.

Soap Essentials Bar II from The Soapmaker's Companion

201g sodium hydroxide
538g distilled water
595g olive oil
454g coconut  oil
396g palm oil (I only use sustainable palm)

Temps between 80 to 100F.

I have a few more new fragrances to try, the next one I'm planning to use is Chestnuts & Clove, so I'm thinking white with a little powdered clove in a swirl? Thanks for stopping by.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment